One of my friends had a large guava tree in front of his house – in addition to marvelling at its most curious bark and climbing up its limbs, we would spend entire afternoons trying to reach those most elusive of fruits – the ripe guava. Sadly, the birds would reach them before us; but when we did get them, it was guava juice time!
4 large ripe guavas
2 litres of water
Sugar to taste
1. Bring the water to a boil.
2. Peel the guavas and chop the inner pulp.
3. Add the pulp from the guavas and simmer for 10 minutes while agitating with a potato masher.
4. Allow the mix to cool.
5. Add the juice from the lime (optional) and sugar to taste.
6. Strain thoroughly, using the back of a spoon to pass the pulp through the sieve.
7. Chill and enjoy over ice!
For more recipes like this and to purchase the full book please click here