Friday, June 9

3 remanded over incident that chops off man’s hand 

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The accused persons are: Alieu Gissay, Sulayman Jallow and Sulayman Leigh. They were all remanded at the prison after taking their plea on the charges pressed against them by police prosecutors Sub-inspector Jabang and Conteh.

The three accused persons are charged with four counts of conspiracy to commit felony; assault causing grievous bodily harm; attempted murder and destroying evidence.

The particulars of offense on count one indicated that the three accused persons on 3 May 2023 at Sare Demba Kumbel village in the Central River Region (CRR), jointly conspired among themselves to commit felony of assault thereby committing an offense.

When the charge was read to them, the first accused person Alieu Gissay and Sulayman Jallow pleaded guilty to the charge while the third accused person Sulayman Leigh denied the accusation.

According to the charge sheet, the first accused Alieu Gissay on the same day and place unlawfully assaulted one Edrissa Keita by chopping off his left hand with a cutlass thereby causing him grievous bodily harm.

The particulars of offence on count three stated that, the first accused person Alieu Gissay, on the same day at Sare Demba Kumbel village with intent, unlawful attempted to cause the death of one Edrissa Keita by striking him with a cutlass thereby committing an offense.

Meanwhile, the particulars of offense on count four indicated that the first accused person Alieu Gissay, on the same date and place with intent, concealed a cutlass knowing fully well the article may be regained in evidence thereby committing an offense.

After the charges were read to them, the first accused person Alieu Gissay pleaded guilty to all charges.

Subsequently, police prosecutor Sub Inspector Jabang for the IGP applied for the accused persons to be denied bail, arguing that “if the accused persons are granted bail and return to their community, they might be attacked by the victim’s relatives.”

His application was granted by the presiding magistrate and the accused persons were all subsequently remanded in custody pending hearing on the next adjournment date.

The case was adjourned to Wednesday 24 May 2023.