By Yunus S Saliu
Celebrating the Power of Tourism through film, The Gambia known as Smiling Coast of Africa has been announced as the winner for Africa with its film titled Welcome to Gambia, under the category of Tourism and the Decade of Action.
As announced during the UNWTO General Assembly took place in Samarkand, Uzbekistan the other winners in this category alongside The Gambia (Africa) are Panama (Americas), Philippines (Asia and the Pacific); Georgia (Europe), and Oman (Middle East).
According to the detailed news release by the UNWTO “The power of visual storytelling to highlight tourism as a force for good has been celebrated with the 2023 edition of the UNWTO Tourism Video Competition. Member States from all regions were invited to submit their videos for consideration, with a jury made up of top media professionals judging them based on how well they communicate the positive impact of tourism. The competition was divided into two categories.”
The first category as stated was Tourism and the Decade of Action “For this category, submissions were judged on how well they show how the tourism sector is advancing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through references to one or more of the 17 Global Goals.”
And the secondary category – Exceptional Stories of Sustainable Tourism “Member States were asked for remarkable examples that showcase the human face of tourism and make clear the positive social impact the sector can deliver for communities and individuals.”
The winners of the two categories during the UNWTO General Assembly, held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan, under Decade of Action, “The 2023 winners are –
• Africa: The Gambia– Welcome to Gambia
• Americas: Panamá – Panamá vive por más
• Asia and the Pacific: Philippines – Tourism Heroes of Palawan
• Europe: Georgia – Stumari
• Middle East: Oman – Experience Oman.
“And Exceptional Stories
• Africa: Kenya – Magical Kenya
• Americas: Panama – Panamá vive por más
• Asia and the Pacific: Philippines – Tourism Hero of Zamboanga City
• Europe: Switzerland – My Swisstainable Journey – IvanoKünzli
• Middle East: Egypt – Visit Esna