Africa Regional Media Hub
United States Department of State
MEDIA ADVISORY | October 27 Digital Briefing with Sean Cairncross, CEO of the Millennium Challenge Corporation
EVENT: Please join us on Tuesday, October 27 for a digital press briefing with Sean Cairncross, CEO of the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC).
BACKGROUND: The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is an innovative and independent U.S. foreign assistance agency that is helping lead the fight against global poverty.
Created by the U.S. Congress in January 2004 with bipartisan support, MCC has changed the conversation on how best to deliver smart U.S. foreign assistance by focusing on good policies, country ownership, and results. MCC provides time-limited grants promoting economic growth, reducing poverty, and strengthening institutions.
MCC has established a new partnership with the organization Africa50 that will create a global investment platform to attract capital to Africa. Africa50 currently has ongoing infrastructure projects in Nigeria, Cameroon, Rwanda, Congo, DR Congo, and Senegal. MCC has programs in Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia, Morocco, Niger, Sierra Leone and Togo in implementation; and is developing programs in Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, the Gambia and Tunisia.
Speaker: Sean Cairncross, Chief Executive Officer, Millennium Challenge Corporation
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Time: 14:30 (Johannesburg) | 12:30 UTC | 8:30 EDT (Washington)
Languages: English. French interpretation will be offered.
Ground rules: ON THE RECORD
Digital briefing info: To be provided upon RSVP
RSVP: Please RSVP by clicking here
Twitter: Follow the conversation at #AFHubPress for the call. Follow us on @MCCgov and @AfricaMediaHub.
Chief Executive Officer
Millennium Challenge Corporation
Sean Cairncross was nominated by President Donald J. Trump to serve as Chief Executive Officer of the Millennium Challenge Corporation on January 8, 2018 and was sworn in on June 24, 2019. As CEO, Mr. Cairncross leads the agency and provides strategic direction and vision as MCC fulfills its mission of reducing poverty through economic growth and advancing America’s interests around the globe.
Prior to joining MCC, Mr. Cairncross served as a Deputy Assistant to President Trump and Senior Advisor to the White House Chief of Staff. Before his work at the White House, Mr. Cairncross served as the Chief Operating Officer of the Republican National Committee for the 2016 election cycle.
CEO Cairncross’s full bio can be found here.
• More information about Africa50
• Participants should log in to join the conference 10 minutes early.
• Participants will be asked to type in their name, press affiliation, and location.
• The speaker will give brief opening remarks, and then the moderator will open the floor to questions.
• Participants will be instructed to type their questions or indicate to the moderator in the chat that they wish to ask a live question. You may also submit questions in advance when you RSVP on Eventbrite or send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We ask that all questions submitted in advance or presented live be in English.
• If you experience technical difficulties during the briefing, you may send an email to email@example.com to alert the moderator to any issues.