REOPENING OF THE BANJUL INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (BIA) TO INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC
1. The Gambia is expected to reopen its airport to international flights, amid tight health regulations, by the end of October 2020.
2. Renovation works at the main terminal building are near completion, in time for the start of the 2020/2021 tourist season.
3. The refurbished main terminal building will provide more space for both passengers and luggage handling at the arrival and departure halls, and will also have more space for offices, shops and a VIP hall, in the upper floor.
4. Similarly, the Control Tower of the airport has been refurbished, upgraded and fitted with new communication gadgets for Air Traffic Controllers.
5. The refurbishment project at the Banjul International Airport is aimed at improving the working environment at the airport, making it more secure, effective, efficient and competitive.
6. When the airport is re-opened, preventive and mitigation measures will be in place in order to enhance safe and efficient operations of air transport, passengers, pilots and crews.
Source: The 8th session of the Inter-Ministerial Press Conference coordinated by Ministry of Information & Communication Infrastructure (MOICI) through the Office of the Government Spokesperson. Held online on Friday, 25th September 2020.
Culled and shared by:
Prince Bubacarr Aminata Sankanu,
Senior Information Officer,
Focal Person for Strategic Communication and External Public Relations,
The Gambia National COVID-19 Response Coordination Secretariat.